Monday, October 25, 2010

Rules

We've all heard the rule that says every rule has an exception, right? What about the "there, their and they're" rule? Is there ever an exception to that? Or how about the notorious Golden Rule? What's the exception to that one?

Well, here are a few exceptions to a few rules I think everyone should learn and strictly abide by. I'm just sayin', if I was in charge, I'm pretty sure there would be some serious consequences to these rules if they were broken. Read on...

Rule #1: Learn the phrase "Did I catch you at a bad time?" and use it every time you call someone.
Unless you're calling immediate family.

Rule #2: Don't be the first to get in the far right lane if you're going straight. It's rude to those of us behind you that want to turn right on red.
Unless the guy behind you was tailgating you, had his brights on, or had previously cut you off, etc.

Rule #3: Don't argue or fight with your spouse in front of others and avoid pressuring your friends to take sides.
Unless your spouse started it....just kidding :)

And to piggy back on that:
Rule #4, for all the parents out there: Don't yell at your kids in public. Discipline? Yes. But yelling? Completely inappropriate.
Unless they are in immediate danger.

Rule #5: Avoid using "totalies" as R calls them, like "never" and "always". You never always do anything and you always never do everything.
Exceptions: Always wear your seatbelt (except when leaning over the car seat to nurse your screaming child while your spouse is driving carefully, ahem, Ashley and Jamie) and Never actually sit down on the toilet seat in a port-a-potty (except when... oh wait, there are no exceptions to this rule).

Moving on...
Rule #6 : Don't arrive more than 15 minutes early or more than 15 minutes late when going somewhere.
Unless you are picking something up for that person, then it's perfectly acceptable whether you're early or late.

Rule #7: Don't use your cell phone in a movie theater. Not to text. Not to answer a phone call. Not to update your status or even to see who's calling.
Except to turn it off if you forgot to at the beginning of the show.

Rule #8: Don't use the "20 Items or Less" speedy checkout line if you have 21 items or more.
Unless you're with your spouse who insists it's okay. Then you can blame it on him if someone calls you out :)

Rule #9: Don't pass gas in an elevator.
Unless you are going to ride it all the way up (or down) with everyone else on board.

Here are a few more "rules" that I'm actually not quite sure if they even qualify as "rules". What do you think?

If you're in the stall of a public restroom and your phone rings, do you answer it?

Does the toilet paper always go over?

Is the left lane for speeding or for going the speed limit?

Is it acceptable to use internet abbreviations such as LOL, SMH, WTF or OMG when having a person to person conversation?

I'd like to think we live in a world where we can make our own rules. But in reality, that is just not the case, and probably for the greater good anyway. I'm not saying don't step out of the box, but perhaps just be sure to walk the line that leads to good manners, common sense, and consideration to those around you. Can we all agree on that?

4 comments:

  1. Good way to start my morning, with a smile :) So, what if I look at my cell phone to check the time in a movie because it's so awful I want to know how much longer I have to suffer...I think that should be an allowed too! P.S. I'm with Jaime and Ashley on the nursing thing...sometimes it's a must!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Depends on who is calling
    2. Yes
    3. Speeding
    4. Definitely acceptable

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kayla...how I look forward to your posts. You always make me want to be more funny on my blog! Totally agree with your rules by the way.

    Aaaannnd:
    1. Totally depends, but probably not. If I'm the only one in the bathroom, the chances shoot up dramatically.
    2. Eh...I'm not a freak about this, but typically that's how I put it on there.
    3. It's the "5 over lane" for me :)
    4. Uh...no. At least I would never do that and would have a hard time taking someone seriously if they said LOL to my face. If you're LOLing while I'm talking to you, you should actually be laughing out loud. Not just saying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I taught you well, or at least you learned in spite of your mom. I love your rules even though I have been guilty of breaking them occasionally.
    1. Personally I would just call them back.
    2. ALWAYS over.
    3. I agree with M. it's the 5 over lane.
    4. NOT okay.

    ReplyDelete