I was on a flight from Charlotte, NC to Phoenix, AZ and was in desperate need of a mani pedi. And please know that when I say "desperate need", it really means it's been a week and I'm bored of one color and ready for another. So, naturally, I planned ahead. In my carry on, I brought with me my OPI of choice, in this case it was a deep teal named Fly and a super sparkly confetti-like polish called Rainbow Connection (currently, my personal fave, perhaps you've seen it on Pinterest). I filed and buffed my nails on the way to the airport, so once I boarded and settled into my seat with my handy dandy little iPod, it was time. I pulled down my tray table, opened my ziplock baggie and out came Fly and the gorge Rainbow Connection. I proceeded to paint my nails. Coat one...Coat two...Fast Drying Top Coat....I was on a roll.
Meanwhile, dude to the left of me was (in my opinion, over the top) dramatic about the smell. Mind you, OPI doesn't have formaldehyde in it, which is what gives nail polish it's strong smell, so I didn't really think his fanning his face with the complimentary copy of Sky Mall magazine, nor his sticking his nose in his shirt like a two year old were necessary. But nonetheless, to each his own. Including me.
So, I finished my mani and had my 3 nail polishes sitting on my tray table with my hands gently placed in my lap waiting for my nails to dry when the stewardess strolls right on by. The sparkles in my Rainbow Connection must have caught her eye, because she passed me, did a double take, and then backed that @$$ up and said to me, "Umm, excuse me, Ms., you aren't painting your nails, are you?" To which I replied, "Nope. I already finished." She was taken back and said "Well you can't do that on board. Nail polish is flammable and the fumes make people sick." I didn't have the guts to look at the guy next to me, but surely he was not happy with me. I threw her a simple "okay", and off she went.
And here is my favorite part of this story:
Later that night, I was talking to R on the phone. He knew I was planning on painting my nails on board and asked if I had gotten the chance to do so, so I proceeded to tell him the story. His response is what makes me love him so much...."What?! That's retarded! (Referring to the over-dramatic guy in seat 12A) I mean, what if someone ordered coffee and you don't like the smell of coffee? Who cares?! Oh! and "it's not allowed on board??" What, was there a sign for that?? I didn't think so!"
Haha! I love it that we see eye to eye on these things! I have the world's best husband!
Kayla I LOVE you blog! It always has me crackin up! (:
ReplyDelete